Why do I need a careers coach?
I am a coaching convert. I spent YEARS muddling my own way through my life and career without any real direction before I finally dipped my toe into the world of coaching. It was a revelation! I quickly moved from a ‘can’t do this’ mindset and a (at best) vague sense of where I was going, to a more focused, positive outlook, with a clear plan and accountability. The problem is, it can seem a bit of a dark art and it’s hard to know whether or not a careers coach is right for you.
At the very least, it’s a space to experiment, practise and learn about yourself with someone who will hold you accountable to action and give you immediate feedback. For me, having dedicated time to make progress was incredibly helpful.
So let me outline some situations where having a career coach can have a hugely positive impact:
- You’re doing brilliantly at work but underneath it all, you have a huge fear of being ‘found out’.
- You worry that actually, you’re not as good as everyone thinks you are. It’s called ‘imposter syndrome’ and it’s incredibly prevalent amongst high achievers.
- You’re feeling a bit stuck. Something’s not working and you need help figuring out what it is and what you need to do differently to create a fulfilling career.
- You’ve got a specific goal – maybe you want to be promoted, find a new role, or get out of a particular pattern of behaviour but you’re a bit stumped on how to make it happen. And you want someone to hold you accountable.
- You’re lacking in confidence and it’s stopping you from being the superstar you want to be.
- You’re struggling to cope – work is stressful, overwhelming, anxiety-inducing or uncertain. Or all of the above.
- You’ve got a great idea for a side hustle but no idea how to make it happen.
- You’re struggling with productivity or focus. Getting stuff done is a challenge!
- You’ve fallen out of love with your job. It used to be great but now it’s lost its lustre.
- You’re no longer feeling inspired and want to figure out what to do next.
A good coach will help you get clear on the issue and work with you to create a practical strategy that gets you to your best possible self and career.